WorldCereal, an EO based system for global cropland monitoring
WorldCereal aims to develop an efficient, agile and robust EO based system for timely global crop monitoring at field scale.
The OpenSource WorldCereal system will be able to:
- Create local to global annual cropland extent maps at 10 m resolution
- Update the crop maps on a seasonal basis
- Differentiate between actively irrigated and rainfed fields
- Produce global maps of maize and wheat, two of the major staple crops
WorldCereal is a global R&D challenge aiming to engage the global agricultural community to achieve optimal results.
A FIRST SEASONALLY UPDATED GLOBAL ANNUAL CROPLAND MAP AT 10 M RESOLUTION
Within WorldCereal we have 4 specific objectives.
- Demonstrate feasibility of global open-source and transparant crop mapping at field scale based on open EO datasets
- Use existing cloud data providers, cloud computing capabilities and ICT infrastructure
- Interact and collaborate with the global agricultural user community
- Collaborate with local and global experts in the field to demonstrate WorldCereal
A NEW AND INNOVATIVE SYSTEM BUILDING ON EXISTING INITIATIVES
WordCereal will be supported by the WorldCereal Champion users as well as a professional user network for in situ data collection, co-validation of the products and to showcase the usage.
WorldCereal recognizes the essential expertise of the agricultural user community to achieve well calibrated products at the global scale. For this reason, and to maximize and showcase the usability of the system and generated products, WorldCereal will be co-designed with the users, through several use cases that are related to GEOGLAM and the SDGs. The selected key user organizations will set the requirements for the WorldCereal products and system. They will also validate and assess the utility of the products and support the consortium with access to reference data sets and their expertise on agricultural mapping and monitoring.